Dan Cockerell was recently a guest on the Jody Maberry Show. As a follow up to that episode, Dan Cockerell asks me three questions.
Dan recently left his role of Vice-President of the Magic Kingdom to launch his own business. His three questions are related to building a personal brand.
What advice do you have for someone leaving the corporate world and starting their own business?
- Know what you want to be known for.
- Read and implement Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller.
- Work with the right people to help you get work done. I work with a podcast editor, an assistant, someone to build sales funnels, and a graphic designer.
What are some apps or programs you use to run your business and keep your life organized?
- Slack - This will allow to communicate with your team and cut down on email.
- ConvertKit - Start building an email list as soon as possible.
- Quickbooks Online - Keep your finances and accounting in order from the beginning.
- Grammarly - This makes sure my grammar is acceptable.
- Wunderlist - This will help you keep track of everything.
- iNaturalist - Unrelated to business, but I love this app. This app helps me identify plants, insects, and animals.
What is your best 2 or 3 tips to create a great podcast?
- Position yourself as an authority on your topic.
- Gear your show to one person, not hundreds.
- Be willing to talk about small topics on your show. As an example, here is an episode I did about outgoing voicemail.